Garden Valley Community Church ~ September 5th 2021
“In times of darkness”
“What I tell you now in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear!” Matthew 10:27 NLT
LESSON #1: this “darkness” is not caused by sin
- there are times in life ~ when things are not clear
- there are times in life ~ when it is not possible to know what to do
LESSON #2: times of darkness ~ serve to provide us a more complete understanding of who God is
- times of darkness ~ transform our character ~ Romans 12:1-2
- “So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.” 1 Peter 1:6-7 NLT
LESSON #3: in times of darkness ~ HE is there
- John 10:27 “My sheep hear My voice”
- Recognizing the Shepherds voice because we have experienced it in our intimate daily relationship with Him
LESSON #4: in times of darkness ~ wait on the LORD
- “This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength.
But you would have none of it.” Isaiah 30:15 NLT
- Do not listen to the voice of self pity or sympathetic voices
- PRAY: ask God to show you what HE desires to teach you in this season of darkness
LESSON #5: what are we speaking in the “light”?
- “But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin” 1 John 1:7 NLT
- Christian UNITY is NOT based on agreement in preferences ~ but on God’s Spirit working in our hearts and minds
- The closer we walk in God’s Spirit ~ the more UNITY we will experience
SUMMARY: when Believers are LISTENING in times
of darkness to God’s voice ~
and SPEAKING in the light what God
taught us in the dark ~
DARKNESS can’t terrify us any more
“but even in darkness I cannot hide from You.
To You the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to You.”
Psalm 139:12 NLT